ChemEd: Chemistry Education Resources
- ChemCAI: Instructional Software for Chemistry
- While this site has been around for some time it deserves another look since the reources have substantially increased. The site contains several lists of software sources, demonstration materials and other resources of interest to Chemistry teachers and course designers. Special emphasis is placed on CAI lessons, digital textbook chapters, and similar materials that can serve as alternatives to traditional methods of instruction.
- The ChemPRIME Project (Lehigh Univ)
- The ChemPrime Project is a curriculum-wide initiative in response
to the National Science Foundation call for Systemic Change in the
Undergraduate Chemistry Curriculum.
- Resources for Chemistry Teachers
- Jim Aldridge at Fort Worth Country Day school is collecting resources for teachers of grades 9-12. Jim has agreed to make his page the chemistry pointer for SciEd.
Chemistry Courses and Hypertext Documents
- Chemistry Hypermedia Project at Virginia Tech - EXCELLENT
- The Chemistry Hypermedia Project is developing tutorials that provide supplemental educational resources for undergraduate chemistry students. Analytical, Organic, and Physical Chemistry hypermedia.
- Chemistry in Context
(T. O'Haver, Univ. of Maryland, College Park)
- One-semester introductory chemistry course taught as a part of the introductory physical science
component of the Maryland Collaborative for Teacher Preparation
- Physical Chemistry (The Wilson Group, UCSD)
- Loads of flashy graphics to go with the content.
- A Brief Review of Quantum Chemistry (CD Sherrill - Georgia)
- This site also contains several advanced topics useful in computational chemistry
- General, Organic, and Biochemistry (J. Hardy, Univ. of Akron)
- The slide viewer which accompanies the lectures works with Netscape only.
- Concepts in Science Through Molecular Modeling (MathMol)
- Includes modules on the Properties of Water, Chemistry of Carbon, Photosynthesis, and the Molecules of Life.
- Microworlds - Exploring the Structure of Materials - LBL's Advanced Light Source
- Microworlds is an interactive tour of current research in the materials sciences.
- Periodic Tables of the Elements
- Web Elements (Mark Winter)
- Los Alamos National Labs
- Univ of British Columbia
- Gav's Periodic Table III - need Netscape 1.1 to view.
- MSDS Safety Sheets (University of Utah)
- Laboratory Safety (Cornell)
- Reviews of Chemistry Software
- Catalog of Chemistry Education Software
- This catalog covers all plarforms and includes brief descriptions of each title
Curriculum Materials (Lesson plans, labs, etc.)
- Science Education Programs Office (UC Irvine)
- Listing of physical science teaching materials on the Internet using the California Science Framework Categories
- Lesson Plans for Chemistry and Physical Science (UCSD)
- Gopher site with a few lessons for the lower grades
- Explorer (University of Kansas)
- Now has a searchable database or you can go directly to the natural sciences menu.
- Science is Fun
- The master of chemical demonstrations, Bassam Z. Shakhashiri, shares the fun through videos and books
Images and Databases
- Hyperactive Molecules
- This is a collection of molecules from servers around the world which can be viewed interactively. Turn off in-lined images before going to the site in England to minimize transfer time. If you want to view a molecule just click on the placeholder icon.
- The Representation of Molecular Models Rendering Techniques
- This is a nice tutorial on the ways that molecules can be represented by computer imaging. Includes discussion on structures, surfaces, rendering, etc.
- MathMol: Mathematics and Molecules K-12 (NYU)
- The purpose of MathMol is to provide the K-12 educational community with information and materials dealing with the rapidly growing fields of molecular modeling and 3-D visualization.
- Amino Acid Database
- Includes 3-D image of each amino acid in the DB.
- Images from the Center for Microscopy and Microanalysis, U. of Queensland, Australia.
- Chemistry Art Gallery
- This site in Finland contains spectacular visualization and animations in chemistry done at the Visualization and Animation Laboratory at CSC
- Images of molecular models
- These images are pictures of models built with kits sold by Indigo Instruments
- MidasPlus Sample Images
- MidasPlus is an advanced molecular modeling system developed by the Computer Graphics Laboratory
(CGL) at the University of California, San Francisco.
History of Chemistry
- The Chemical Heritage Foundation (U. Penn)
- The Chemical Heritage Foundation is attempting to provide a comprehensive list of resources on the
history of chemistry available through World Wide Web, as well as access to CHF's collections
Places to download software
- About the Quantum Chemistry Program Exchange
- Download site
- Macintosh only
- U Mich,
- Sumex Macintosh
- Chemistry tutorials -
Chem1Ware (Simon Fraser University)
- Chemical Applications of the World Wide Web
- A hypertext presentation by Henry S. Rzepa, , Benjamin J. Whitaker, and Mark J. Winter. The application of the Internet based World-Wide-Web system for efficient and intuitive delivery of chemical information in a wide variety of formats is illustrated via models for electronic publishing and interaction with molecular data.
Presentations and Periodicals On-Line
- Chemical On-line Presentations, Talks and Workshops
- This list allows you to submit your own link. Maintained by Henry Rezpa, Imperial College, London.
- Multimedia Journal of Chemical Education
- The Chemical Educator
- The Chemical Educator's focus is the college and university (two and four year) chemistry
curriculum, including major courses, general education courses, and courses taught in service to
Comprehensive Chemistry resources on the web
- Internet Chemistry Information Resources
- Maintained by Gary Wiggins at Indiana University. This is the most complete one-stop shopping index for cruising chemistry information on the Internet.
- Chemistry Information on Internet
Other Information Sources
- Maintained at Virginia Tech by Ching-Wan Yip. Another fine collection of resources.
Clearinghouse for Chemical Information Instructional Materials
- Searchable Chemistry Index
- The World-Wide Web Virtual Library: Chemistry
- Maintained at UCLA
Organizations involved in Chemistry Education
- ACSWeb - Information for the Chemical Community
- Journal of Chemical Education gopher
Maintained by Alan Cairns - email@example.com
- Directory of pharmaceutical information resources bon the web